Many people ask me where to buy fresh fish, lobster, and conch, so I consider this another category of shopping in Abaco. If you do not catch all the fish you need while visiting Abaco, there are several sources where you can purchase seafood.
Right now your best option for fresh fish is to contact some of the local fishermen directly. You can call to see what they have and arrange delivery or pick up.
* Charles Albury lives at Casuarina Point and often has fresh fish to sell, and he MIGHT have some lobster for sale. He is also available to take you deep sea or reef fishing. His phone number: (242) 805-7387. Here is a picture of Charles and his Dad, JR, with a fish they caught out from Casuarina Point in January 2017. It’s a NICE fish!
When Charles is fishing off shore, he might not have cell service. You can also call JR: (242) 475-1892, or Charles’ fishing partner, David Rees. (see below)
* Bronson Russell lives in Marsh Harbour, and is a very successful fisherman – so another GREAT source for fresh fish! (242) 577-5616
* David Rees lives in Bahama Palm Shores, just south of Casuarina Point, so he is a good one to try. He and Charles Albury often fish together. His phone number is (242) 458-6260 and his email is firstname.lastname@example.org. David usually makes sushi one day a week, so you might inquire about that, too.
* Donald Pinder, of Sandy Point, is a local fisherman who will sell directly to the public. Call him before you go: (242) 366-4088. We recently (February 2015) met Donald and his wife, Estelle, when they were cleaning their fresh catch at their dock in Sandy Point. The snapper was $4/pound whole, and then he filleted it for us. Estelle used to be the nurse for Sandy Point, but now she helps her husband with his fishing business – a charming couple. To find them at the dock, you drive all the way into Sandy Point, and turn right on the first street AFTER West Bay Street. The dock is at the end of the street.
Sandy Point is again the place to go if you are wishing for fresh lobster. (The locals call them crawfish!) Before you leave ‘home,’ call Links Adderley to make sure he is fishing and will have some for you. If you want some conch, let him know, and he will have those ready for you, too. He can tell you where to find him, OR you can ask him if he can leave it for you at his brother, Leslie’s restaurant: Nancy’s Seaside Restaurant, in Sandy Point. If you drive to Sandy Point, lunch or dinner at Nancy’s is a great plan. We are always VERY pleased with our purchases from Links and so happy to know him. You can reach him at: 242-375-9242.
They are very nice! Please tell them Kathy recommended them. 🙂
Lobster season is closed starting April 1st, and it is open again on August 1st.
It is a pretty long drive to Sandy Point – so take your cooler for the fish/lobster/conch and plan to enjoy Sandy Point before returning to Casuarina. Please check out ‘Visit Sandy Point’ under ‘Things to Do in Abaco’ for ideas of how to make the most of your trip south.*
* Check back, please. I plan to add more sources soon.
BEFORE Hurricane Dorian – ‘The Fish House in Marsh Harbour’ was a great option. I will leave the information here – HOPING they will re-open some day, and hopefully the fishermen who sold their catch on the side of the road will come back, too.
Many times of the year you will see fishermen selling fish and conch from ice chests on their trucks, along Don Mckay Boulevard in town – across from the Dove Plaza.
The ‘Fish House,’ aka Skagg Retail & Wholesale, aka Marsh Harbour Importers & Exporters (locals just refer to it as ‘the Fish House’), is a good source for freshly frozen lobster, stone crab, conch, and fish – and also a place you can buy bait. (They have squid, and regular and rigged ballyhoo for fishing.) The Fish House sells small quantities, but they also have 10 pound boxes of Lobster Tails and Lobster Meat for sale. We often take a ten pound box home to enjoy in Alabama. Right now the 10# box of pure meat is selling for $100 – quite a bargain! The lobster in the tails is more expensive, but a prettier presentation – depending on your plans for serving. The pure meat is frozen in ~1 pound bundles, and they stay frozen in the box really well. I put them in a silver freezer bag and put them in my suitcase to take home. One time my suitcase was lost(!!!) – and I thought I would loose the lobster! BUT it was delivered the next day around noon – and the lobster was still partially frozen – so I was happy! Here is a link for How to Find The Fish House.
If you want fresh Conch Salad, stop by to see George, aka ‘Showboat’, at his stand next to Blue Wave Boat Rentals on Marsh Harbour. (Between Blue Wave and Mangoes) You will find him there most days with some fresh Conch Salad ready to go. Tell him if you want it spicy and he will add some minced goat pepper.