October 12-14, 2019 – Post Dorian
I added some more pictures at the end of this post today – October 14th
Gary and I have been in Abaco since October 3rd, and I know I promised an update with pictures, but our days have been busy, and my Internet connection has often been to slow to work on a web page. Today is a GORGEOUS day in Abaco! We were in Casuarina Point this morning, and I took a few pictures of the beach between Calypso & Kokomo:
As you can see the beach and coconut trees are still beautiful. Julian, our gardener, has been back in Abaco for 2 and 1/2 weeks, and he has the yards looking GREAT (he has such a green thumb!), and he has helped with the washing down the outside of the houses, etc. He is invaluable! Marsha & Wendy have cleaned all our houses from top to bottom, so they are ready to go. We currently have guests (insurance adjusters) staying in Kokomo & Abaco Palms. They are a very nice group from Sedgwick International.
South Abaco is working to be back in business. I have a lot I wish I could update on the web site, so I am hoping for better Internet soon. Some of the big, important news:
- Big Bird Chicken Farm (~6 miles north of Casuarina Point) has opened a convenience store/liquor store, and they sell gas and repair tires!…very convenient, one stop shopping. Yesterday they had HOMEMADE ICE CREAM for sale!
- Crossing Rocks and Cherokee Sound also have small grocery stores, and there is a larger grocery at Sandy Point.
- There is a WONDERFUL bakery at Crossing Rocks run by Debbie Burrow’s sister, Elizabeth! I will add her to the bakery page on this site soon.
- Debbie is still here and available to cook for you.
- Maxwell’s, our main grocery store, is scheduled to open November 7th. They are in the process of stocking their shelves.
- Commonwealth Bank is opening a satellite office inside Maxwell’s – so we will have a bank soon.
- There is a working ATM in the Marsh Harbour Airport
- Rental cars are available from Barefoot Car Rentals in Marsh Harbour
- There are some taxis available at the airport. When we arrived we were greeted by several who wanted to give us a ride, but a friend was there to pick us up.
- I just saw we have an Uber driver?! I am not sure it works like Uber in the US, but think you might have to call?
- The Sandpiper Inn plans to open next weekend.
- Pete’s Pub is opening the beginning of November – as originally scheduled.
- The Blackfly will be hosting guests the beginning of November.
- We have guests coming October 25th and a big crowd scheduled for the holidays.
- Our bonefishing guides are ready to go fishing!
- Deep sea fishing is available, too.
- I am sure I am forgetting many things I should add, so I might be updating this list.
I will try to remember to take pictures of the street side of the houses and some more beach pictures and add them soon.
Today I will end with a short video I took on the deck of Kokomo last week.
Thank you for checking in.
October 14th – a few pictures of our houses at Casuarina Point, taken on Sunday, October 13, 2019. It looks amazingly normal, but some plants are pruned more than usual.
When I walked down the beach to take the pictures it made me so happy to see children’s footprints on the beach!
I hope you all have a wonderful week.